Friday 7 October 2016

The Chase

This image moved through various thumbnails looking for a solid visual impact. I wanted the focus of this image to be the scale of the Roc compared to the feline Talian, who is also huge in comparison to a human. The humans of the piece are what keep the scale in line. The original thumbnail did not give the correct impact, but the other explorations went away from this idea and then returned to its general theme as it fitted the scenario best.


This is the mid-way point, before detailing. Lighting was sorted, with the shadow of the Roc laying over the rear of the Talian in a threatening manner. The actual pose of the cat and the bird took an extremely long time to entirely figure out but a lot of references finally solved this. I had originally wanted to model the pose but references would have been necessary for that anyway.


The final image. I don't know that the shade over the Talian entirely comes through as being caused by the great size of the Roc, but I don't know how to fix that. Lighting has become an interesting point to look into though, and this exploration has made me more confident with my knowledge of it thus far. The character is Joy, the Talian is Stagger, and they were drawn from their orthographic poses I created. It is a breakthrough in my human rendering, and even the pose and anatomy felt easier after this MA year. Though an intimidating piece to plan, it was very fun to colour and render through to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment